the story of our history
1910 – 1950
It all began with the founding of the Carl Flemming Fireworks Factory in 1910 in Hamburg-Neugraben by Carl Flemming. His dedication and joy for pyrotechnic effects not only spread over to his sons and grandsons but his fireworks amazed crowds far beyond cities boundaries.
As his enerprise began to grow the Carl Flemming Fireworks Factory expanded its range of products and started to specialise its manufacturing on distress signals, high-pitched sound and detonation effects and smoke and fog applications.
With its growing business Carl Flemming attended exhibitions and employed more than 20 workers in 1929.
“Flemming Fireworks” advertisement
The enterprise continued to develop and in 1937 the product range extended to special practice effects used in the training of air-raid wardens.
Due to the steady development and rising demand in the pyrotechnical industry, the company’s employees exceeded 200 in 1939 and the premises extended to 100.000m² setting a milestone and establishing itself as its own industrial estate.
After the second world war in 1947, the production was resumed with the manufacturing of simple pyrotechnics such as tealights and sparklers.
Once restrictions were lifted the production increased and the enterprise started to produce display fireworks and distress signals in 1949.
new head and new premises
1950 – 2000
Hermann Flemming becomes new head of the company in 1959 because Carl Flemming passed away.
The company relocated to its present site at Hornbek in the Dutchy of Lauenburg, Schleswig Holstein. The premises were in the then border zone, only 10km from the former East German Border. At that time there were 8 employees.
The company developed and manufactured marine distress signals, smoke applications, rescue lights and flares.
Display fireworks remained one of the company’s main strategic products.
The PyroPol GmbH was founded in 1998 by Olaf Flemming and Werner Beckmann (Permalight AG) on the premises of Carl Flemming’s pyrotechnic factory in Hornbek.
Olaf Flemming thus leads the family tradition in the third generation. He is able to rely on the extensive know-how and experience of a company history rich in tradition.
Safe, efficient and user-orientated manufacture of pyrotechnic products combine with punctual delivery as the mainstays of an assured company future, and have remained so since its foundation in 1910.
In 1999 production commences and the DIN EN ISO 9001 : 1994 quality management system is introduced.
The range includes the devlopment and manufacture of Marine distress signals, smoke applications, rescue lights and signal flares.
To beging with there were five male and female employees.
a growing and engaging enterprise
2000 – the future
The PyroPol GmbH expands its production and increases its product range to MOB, Light and smoke signals and special effects in 2001.
Furthermore, it started attending exhibitions and employed seven male and female employees.
Quality management kept increasing its standards and achieved certification at the DIN EN ISO 9001 : 2000 level in 2004. The company now employed 13 men and women.
In order to prepare for a effectual future, the production area, the canteen and toilets underwent major reconstruction in 2008.
The walkways between the production areas were roofed over.
Additionally, increased storage demands necessitated the building of a new warehouse in 2009.
The warehouse has an area of approximately 350 m² and accommodates 300 pallet storage positions. Provision for future expansion was taken into account.
The level of quality management was now updatede to DIN EN ISO 9001 : 2008 certification.
Production area after refurbishment
PyroPol Head office
Stand at METS, Amsterdam
The dwelling house neighouring the production facility was converted to our headquarters in 2010.
It provided space for new offices, meeting rooms and recreational areas for management and administrative staff.
The co-founder of PyroPol GmbH, Werner Beckmann, died on Dezember 9th, 2010.
We will always remain grateful for his unflagging engagement and assistance.
Olaf Flemming now headed the company as sole partner.
Due to our own aim of constant improvements on various areas we updated our quality management standards to DIN EN ISO 9001 : 2008 certification in 2011.
There were now 16 male and female employees and 6 part-timers, together with two apprentices.
Our future comprises the development and manufacturing of further specialised pyrotechnics.
Intensification of cooperation with national and international partners.
Expansion of marketing activities in the recreation and outdoor sectors.